I love the feeling of knowing that my body is getting stronger. Beofre starting my workout program, I was, well, a wimp. Not that I am super strong by any means, but I can feel my body getting stronger. For example, I used to hardly be able to do one push up, let alone several Chatarungas (aka tricep pushups) in yoga class. Now I can do chatarungas during vinyasa flow, no problem. These little milestones are motivation for me and get me excited to do my next workout, so I can see how strong I can continue to be.

Right now I am spending alot of time focusing on my core strength, as that seems to be lacking. I feel like I have fairly strong stomach muscles (even though you cannot see them...yet!), but the rest of my core, especially my lower back and chest-forget it. I have learned that core work is so much more than just ab strengh- it encompasses abdominals, back, glutes, thighs and chest-essentially the trunk. And, as Tony (P90X guy) would say, the core is the foundation to all other movements.
So what do you think of when you think of a strong core? Sit ups? Thats what I used to think. Now I realize that core stabilizing exercises are the best. Examples of these include Plank, Forearm Plank and Side Plank. These exercises engage the entire core and engage all the abdominal muscles to hold you in the position.
Below is a great core strengthening series from the Tone It Up girls. After one set my core is on fire, and I have yet to do more than 2 sets, even though it says to repeat 6 times!
Here is the link to the
Abs Circuit.
No comments:
Post a Comment